Possible research for fault tolerance and robustness in autonomous systems:
- Agent based architecture: Though a three tier architecture is predominant in autonomous embedded systems, the agent approach could work because of 1.Avoiding semantic mismatch given that all agents have the same symbolic representation; 2.Increasing modularity by separating functionality into agents.
- Plan analysis: Checking plans (created by decisional mechanisms) on-line. This would arguably increase the validity and relevance of a plan.
- Heuristic diversification: Have a pool of heuristics that work inside the decisional mechanism. All of them can execute at the same time or one can be preferred.
- Model diversification: Have a pool of implementations and descriptions of the systems. In such a way that if one fails, the others can be used.
- Fault forecasting: This refers to the estimation, incidence and consequences of future faults. There have been few studies in fault forecasting.
They mentioned a simulation and fault injection environment that is not yet complete. It read like a description of what they are still implementing.