Topic of interest: Energy consumption of image transmission in Wireless Sensor Networks.
Approach: “Power reduction while transmitting images in WSN over IEEE 802.15.4/ZigBee by disabling MAC acks”. Some additional control messages needed to be implemented in the application layer.
- They where able to calculate a a 7.6% reduction on a coordinator and end device.
- They also calculated 1.6% active time reduction in both coordinator and end device.
- I finally found the accepted name for these types of WSN -> Wireless Image Sensor Networks (WiSNs). Seems obvious, but it’s not so much when you don’t know the term.
- The tests are performed indoors and at a rather close range. A question remains of what type of interference was present in the indoor environment. Additionally I ask myself if there are other factors of interference when the WiSN is taken to the field.
- I wonder how much the results (throughput, BER, PER) suffer when the tests are done outdoors.
- This work is done to increment the efficiency of the ZigBee protocol. I wonder if it not easier to use another protocol.